The pounding of drums, the wailing of bagpipes, and the roar of the crowd, Saltatio Mortis Live at Wacken Open Air 2023 – it can only mean one thing: Saltatio Mortis is taking the stage at Wacken Open Air 2023. The medieval rock band from Germany has been a staple of the festival scene for years, and their performance at Wacken this year was nothing short of spectacular. In this article, we’ll take you through the highlights of their setlist, the electrifying atmosphere, and the unforgettable moments that made Saltatio Mortis’ performance at Wacken Open Air 2023 one for the books.
- Alive Now: The show kicks off with an explosion of energy as Saltatio Mortis takes the stage with “Alive Now.” The audience is immediately captivated by the band’s commanding presence and infectious enthusiasm.
- Brot und Spiele: The medieval-themed lyrics of “Brot und Spiele” resonate with the crowd, transporting them to a bygone era while the band’s modern rock sound keeps them firmly in the present.
- Loki: The haunting melody of “Loki” fills the air, and lead vocalist Alea’s powerful vocals draw the audience deeper into the band’s world of mythology and fantasy.
- Wo sind die Clowns?: With “Wo sind die Clowns?,” Saltatio Mortis showcases their ability to seamlessly blend different musical elements, from folk to rock, creating a unique and captivating sound.
- Dorn im Ohr: The thumping rhythm of “Dorn im Ohr” has the crowd moving in unison, and the band’s charismatic stage presence keeps everyone engaged.
- Taugenichts: This song allows the band to showcase their instrumental prowess, with intricate guitar and bagpipe solos that leave the crowd in awe.
- God of War (with Peyton Parrish): The surprise appearance of Peyton Parrish adds a thrilling twist to the performance, and the collaboration on “God of War” leaves the crowd cheering for more.
- Heimdall: “Heimdall” transports the audience to the realms of Norse mythology, and the band’s storytelling abilities shine through in every note.
- What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor? ([traditional] cover): The inclusion of a traditional sea shanty shows Saltatio Mortis’ willingness to experiment with their sound, delighting the crowd with a lively and unexpected cover.
- My Mother Told Me (with Peyton Parrish): Peyton Parrish’s return to the stage for “My Mother Told Me” is met with thunderous applause, and the song’s infectious melody has the audience singing along.
- Mittelalter: “Mittelalter” takes the crowd on a journey through the medieval ages, complete with tales of knights and castles set to a modern rock beat.
- Gardvloo: The enchanting melody of “Gardvloo” casts a spell over the audience, and Saltatio Mortis’ ability to create a sense of atmosphere is on full display.
- Hypa Hypa (Electric Callboy cover): The band’s cover of Electric Callboy’s “Hypa Hypa” injects a dose of high-energy electronic elements into the set, proving their versatility as musicians.
- Keine Regeln (FiNCH cover) (with FiNCH): Collaborating with FiNCH for “Keine Regeln” adds an extra layer of excitement, and the chemistry between the two bands is palpable.
- Für immer jung (With snippets of „Maria“: The medley of “Für immer jung” and “Maria” is a nostalgic journey through the band’s discography, and the crowd sings along with heartfelt passion.
- Spielmannsschwur: The set reaches its climax with “Spielmannsschwur,” a fan-favorite that has the entire audience dancing, clapping, and singing in unison.
- Remmidemmi (Yippie Yippie Yeah) (Deichkind song): Saltatio Mortis closes out their unforgettable performance with a cover of Deichkind’s “Remmidemmi,” sending the crowd into a frenzy of excitement.
Saltatio Mortis’ performance at Wacken Open Air 2023 was a masterclass in blending musical genres, storytelling, and showmanship. The band’s ability to transport the audience to different eras and worlds while keeping their feet firmly planted in the present is a testament to their unique talent and enduring appeal. Wacken Open Air 2023 will be remembered for many things, but Saltatio Mortis’ electrifying performance will undoubtedly be at the top of the list. Saltatio Mortis Live at Wacken Open Air 2023 was a blast.